Saturday, July 4, 2009

Who Sparked Your Interest in Things Theological?

Hopefully for each one of us our pastors were instrumental in convincing us of the importance of theological reflection. That said, I'd like to hear which scholars and authors really got the ball rolling for folks and why their work proved so influential.

Millard Erickson's Christian Theology was a major catalyst for my desire to seek out further theological study. Christian Theology has been a standard text in the world of evangelical theological education and I came to appreciate it for several reasons. First, I noticed that he works hard to exemplify level-headed treatment of difficult issues. In one of his more recent works (What Does God Know and When Does He Know it?) he analysed the open theism debate in (I think) an admirably even-handed manner even as he remained committed to a traditional perspective on divine foreknowledge. Second, as a result of his patient approach to perplexing and heated questions, Erickson's Christian Theology made me feel like I wasn't just naively buying into given theological positions. Third, to be frank, I remember liking his work because I agreed with most of his conclusions!

Who sparked your interest in things theological and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment