Wednesday, April 22, 2009

On Not Having to Rescue God

"The best evangelical theological work emerges from delight in the Christian gospel, for the gospel announces a reality which is in itself luminous, persuasive, and infinitely satisfying. That reality is Jesus Christ as he gives himself to be an object of creaturely knowledge, love, and praise. To think evangelically about this one is to think in his presence, under the instruction of Word and Spirit, and in the fellowship of the saints. And it is to do so with cheerful confidence that his own witness to himself is unimaginably more potent than any theological attempts to run to his defense."

John Webster
from "Jesus Christ," in The Cambridge Companion to Evangelical Theology

I owe a great debt to thinkers like my own NT professor Dr. Craig Blomberg who have rigorously defended the intellectual credibility of Christian faith. I might not have made it through high school as a Christian without their hard work. Yet at the same time I am refreshed by Webster's words. There is a sense of rest in knowing that the Triune God does not need my theological work to present himself to men and women in need of his gospel as the gracious Lord of the universe. Perhaps I should address positions with which I disagree with a greater sense of confidence in the (ultimately) uncontradictable character of the truth of God.

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Steve,

    I appreciated this post on a number of levels...

    "There is a sense of rest in knowing that the Triune God does not need my theological work to present himself to men and women in need of his gospel as the gracious Lord of the universe."

    Sometimes I cling to this sense of rest a bit much - but it is truly good news for those of us (and those out there) for whom theological work is not always enough or at times, too mysterious to fully comprehend. While I grapple with understanding complex theological concepts, many of which you write about regularly in your blog (which seems to be routinely far beyond where God intended my small little mind to wander!), I have peace in knowing not only is this theological work incredibly important - it is often strangely unrelated to his outpouring of grace and his sovereign presence.

    Thank you for that reminder.

    ReplyDelete